Sunday 1 July 2012

American-style pancakes


American style pancakes 



I’ve been making a few of Felicity Cloakes “the perfect” recipes recently (like the chocolate chip cookies). I’m always looking for new brunch recipes, so these immediately piqued my interest. We didn’t have any maple syrup, although I think I’ve seen it in the Carrefours around Waterloo and in the British shop. We ate them with honey and jam. The pancakes were light and fluffy, with a good taste and colour.

45g melted butter
115g flour
115 cornmeal (‘farine de mais’ in French. I didn’t have any in my kitchen and wasn’t looking for it when I was doing the shopping, so I used polenta instead and they turned out great)
a pinch of salt
2 tablespoons of caster sugar
½ teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
1 egg
300ml buttermilk (see here for more info on the science behind buttermilk)
100ml full fat milk

Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl. In a jug, mix two tablespoons of the melted butter plus all the other wet ingredients. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ones, stirring to combine as you add them.
American style pancake batter
In a heavy pan, add a little of the leftover melted butter and heat to a medium heat.
Drop large spoonfuls of the mixture of the mixture into the hot pan and cook for about two or three minutes on the first side and another minute on the reverse side. You know the first side is done when holes appear on the raw side of the pancake. I was able to get three pancakes onto the pan. Repeat for the rest of the mixture. I got about 12 pancakes from this amount of mixture.

No comments:

Post a Comment