Monday 16 July 2012

Chocolate chip cookies (aka ‘angry cookies’)


This recipe comes from an American site, so I had to convert the recipe from cups and sticks to grams. The cookies are delicious – I prefer the taste of these ones to the Felicity Cloake one I tried last week, but I prefer the texture of hers. Next time, I'm going to try chilling the dough before cooking them. I got lots - about 30 cookies - from this lot. 


Chocolate chip cookies aka "angry cookies"


220g butter
300g brown sugar
2 eggs
A little vanilla flavouring
320g flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
400g chocolate (this was for very chocolately cookies. Next time I might try 350g. Might. You could also substitute some of the chocolate for nuts)


Put the oven onto 170°.
Beat the butter and the sugar together until they are light and fluffy – this takes about five minutes. Mix in the eggs and the vanilla and beat them into the eggy sugary mixture to combine. Fold in the sifted dry ingredients.
The only chocolate chips I could find were for sale in little glass jars, like the jars of cake decorations, and they were about €3.50 each, so I bought a 400g bar of chocolate, broke it into a plastic bag and bashed it with a rolling pin to get really large chunks. Hence the moniker ‘angry cookies’.
Fold the chunks through the mixture.
I went ahead and cooked the cookies at this stage and they melted and spread all over the place – I had to re-cut most of them when they were cooked, so next time I would take a tip from the Felicity Cloake school of chocolate chip cookie baking and chill the mixture for a while before baking.
Cookie dough


So, either chill your mixture first and then drop spoonfuls onto a baking tray and bake for 12-15 mins or drop spoonfuls onto your baking tray and then chill (I guess an hour or so would be enough to harden the mixture up) and then bake for 12-15 mins.
Leave to cool on the tray for a few minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to continue cooling. Scoff immediately on their own or with ice cream. 

No comments:

Post a Comment