Friday 6 July 2012

Chocolate chip cookies


I’ve had chocolate chip cookies on my to-cook-wish-list for a while now. The first recipe I wanted to try is an American one, but what really puts me off making them is (deep breath) American measurements, or cups (update - I since made them - see here for more). Since then, I saw this recipe in Felicity Cloakes column in the Guardian. I tried them last night, and Hubs comment was “hmm, these are really good!” while nodding appreciatively. And they are – light, crunchy, crumbly, and most importantly, they have a really satisfying bite to them – they make a really good “thunk” noise when you bite them.  So, thanks to Ms Cloake for having done all the hard work. I got 20 cookies from this.

120g of soft, salted butter
75g brown sugar
75g sugar
a drop of vanilla extract
1 egg
240g plain flour
½ teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
170g dark chocolate chunks

In a food mixer, mix the butter and sugars until combined. Add the vanilla extract and the egg and mix again until the egg is incorporated into the sugary buttery mix.
Sift in the flour and bicarbonate of soda and stir in using a metal spoon. Fold in the chocolate pieces and combine.
At this stage, the recipe states to chill the mixture for 24 hours. Hmm, I wanted a quick sugary fix so I chilled them while I got on with the dinner. Also, I had the oven on and I didn’t want to fire up the oven the next day just to bake some cookies.
Raw chocolate chip cookie dough. Yuuuuuum. 

The oven was already up at 180°, so after about an hour in the fridge, I removed the dough mixture (which, by the way, is delicious raw – I had to stop myself from helping myself to a spoonful every time I passed it). The dough should be a little solid at this stage. Take spoonfuls of it and put onto two baking sheets, spacing them well apart (the biscuits will spread when they cook).
Bake for 15 minutes, until golden. Remove and leave on the trays for about five minutes before popping them onto a wire tray. They were still warm by the time dessert time rolled around, and deliciously melty, leading to satisfyingly grubby fingers and faces. I’m expecting the rest will be wolfed down for the gouter – if they survive that long – I’ve spotted a couple of pairs of eyes ogling the biscuit tin. I might have to find a better hiding place for them!

2 comments: